Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday Thirteens!

So, we've arrived at Thursday Thirteens, where you get 13 random facts, tidbits if you will, about whatever I'd like to tell you about. This idea certainly isn't mine, and originates with this blog, which I found by way of another. So, for our first Thursday Thirteens, since I'm currently starving and thus only really interested in eating, I give you thirteen restaurants that I must visit before leaving NOLA. This is, of course, not an exhaustive list, because I plan on eating my way through the city before I'm done. But, to start:

1. Crepe Nanou - as CJ said on Top Chef, if there were another Spice Girl, she'd be Crepe Spice, because the ladies love crepes. As I am a lady (what? I am, stop laughing), I'm no exception to the rule, and plus, I've heard good things about this one.

2. Mr. B's Bistro - I've had a gift certificate to this restaurant since August 25, 2005. Well, that worked out really well, as you can imagine. And since they didn't reopen until quite recently, and since trying to get Max to dress up even a little is an exercise in futility, I still haven't used it. But, I have a promise that he'll come with me next week, so things are looking up.

3. Sucre - maybe this isn't technically a restaurant, since they only serve sweet things and dessert, but it just looks so pretty! And sugary! And I love pretty, sugary anything (except for marzipan, that stuff just tastes a bit odd), so there ya go.

4. Cafe Atchafalaya - it has a giant frying pan on the side of the building. I mean, how cool is that?

5. Lola's - Mmmmm, sangria. Oh, and I hear the food's pretty good too.

6. Crabby Jack's - everyone keeps telling me that they have the best po-boys, and yet, I have yet to try them. So, it's on my list.

7. Upperline - it's just such a cheerful looking place, and I hear that the duck there is fantastic. And I love duck, especially when it's done right, because otherwise it's just sort of tough and boring.

8. Commander's Palace - well, that's an obvious choice.

9. La Petite Grocery - I've heard SO MANY good things about this place that I must try it. And hopefully it'll be around for a while, since the building has already housed a flower shop and a grocery store.

10. Acme Oyster - I just feel like it's one of those institution-type places that I have to visit. Plus, the last time that I had a raw oyster I was 10, and you can't reallly appreciate that sort of thing at such a young age.

11. Cochon - I dunno, I drive by it every other day or so, and it looks good.

12. Brennan's - I was supposed to go here two weeks ago for brunch, but then my visitors realized that they hadn't brought the necessary clothing choices, so I didn't. But I want to, darnit.

13. Bennachin's - little West African place in the Quarter. Since I believe in trying everything once, and since their menu looks quite interesting, I'd like to visit this place sometime. Plus, I once read in a "review" of sorts on a local site that it was a great place to refuel after a little afternoon delight. Interesting.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

First off, you referenced CJ. Awesome! He was my favorite. Second, if you got to La Crepe, get the mussels, they're amazing.

Some Girl said...

1) Lola's. As an ex-Spanish-study-abroader, totally disappointed. But the sangria is good!
2) Crabby Jack's. Totally true.

 
template by suckmylolly.com