Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Marital Resonance Imaging?

I was listening to NPR this morning while getting ready for class, and heard a story about a possible alternative to the lie detector test, which uses a functional MRI to track a lie while it's taking shape in the brain. I know, what a boring thing to post about. But, then I heard this little bit, about the type of people who are actually lining up to prove their innocence:

"We have had a huge number of people contact us with regard to sexuality," he said. "In other words: 'I am being faithful to my partner, but he doesn't believe me.' That's a common complaint. Interestingly, it is mostly women who are calling and asking to do this."

Hmmm, so you're willing to pay about $10,000 (the approximate cost of a session), to prove to someone that you're not stepping out on him. Gee, what a healthy relationship. Seriously, if you had to pay TEN GRAND to prove to someone that you're not lying, would you stay with that person? Because, ummm, isn't trust supposed to be one of the cornerstones of a loving relationship, or something like that? I had this one boyfriend, who among other totally fucking crazy things, wanted me to actually show him my paystubs to prove that I was waitressing instead of, I don't know, prostituting myself on the corner. Needless to say, we're not together anymore. I certainly didn't shell out $10K to prove to him that I wasn't getting dressed up in my sexy apron and tie every night for a hot date. Someone who is willing to do so just baffles me. I mean, for you, lovely readers, is there anything that would possibly make someone so attractive that you're willing to go to such lengths?

P.S. Yes, I know that the title of this post is really lame. Just getting that out of the way.

1 comments:

Some Girl said...

Domestic violence 101: obsessive belief that his/her partner is cheating on him/her is a sign of violence/ obsession/ stalking/ emotional abuse to come.
So yes, Liza, you're right. A good relationship should not require 10 grand or pay stubs to prove you're not cheating.
Personally, I'd use the 10 grand as part of a down payment on the house my ex partner won't be living in!

 
template by suckmylolly.com