Sunday, August 27, 2006

When charming isn't so charming

Normally, I’m a person who likes things that have character, or charm, or whatever you want to call it. One of the main reasons I chose my house was because it was a cute pink shotgun, and that made me happy. I didn’t want to live in a sterile condo-like environment. I wanted hardwood floors, and high ceilings, and mantels in every room. So that’s what I got, and right now, I hate it.

Apparently I forgot that moving in makes or breaks the house. You see, between Max and I we have a ton of stuff. It took the largest truck size, stuffed floor to ceiling, to move us in. Then that stupid hurricane hit, and the unpacking was interrupted. Not only was it interrupted, but it was disrupted by Max’s efforts to save our things should the neighborhood flood. I returned in January to find that Hurricane Max had upended much of our furniture and piled it on top of each other in an attempt to create higher ground. So I’m looking around my apartment tonight, and I realize that, despite the fact that our furniture is now in the right places, the overall state of the apartment hasn’t really improved all that much. It’s still a mess, and as I am main cleaner of the household, and as I have been too busy this week to engage in cleaning activities, the mess has gotten worse. Plus, the house is old, and old things are not perfect. Right now, I’m kind of wanting perfect. The pocket doors, while cute, do not close the whole way. The slightly odd hardwood kitchen floor just looks to me like its harder to keep clean. The lack of proper and coordinated furniture also is not helping my outlook, and I’m feeling quite disgruntled at the moment.

So right now, fuck charm. Fuck the hardwood floors, and the high ceilings, and the mantels. All I want right now is a sterile condo-like environment downtown, preferably with a maid to clean up after me. It also wouldn’t suck to have new appliances, as it seems that my major (and by major I mean expensive) appliances like to break all at once. Normally I would just engage in some cleaning, make the house look a little better, and thus improve my mood. Right now, however, I’m so sick of the everlasting imperfections that I just want to move.

2 comments:

asenath waite said...

see, if you had a sterile condo like apartment, you'd notice that the veneer on your cheap-ass countertop was coming loose. in your charming old house, its par for the course, so you notice other stuff.

asenath waite said...

Dear Liza Jane,

you, and your compatriate, LDS's comments in response to my recent post are what is called "missing the point."

- AW

 
template by suckmylolly.com