Friday, August 4, 2006

Part-time lawyering

I'm starting to wonder if I'm actually cut out for working. I managed to finally find something to do with myself this summer, and so far...eh. For one thing, I seem to be allergic to staying at work for more than a few hours. Last Friday, for example, I was at one of my jobs (for lack of a better word, seeing as how I'm not getting paid) for a grand total of 4.5 hours. Not very long, huh? Thing is, I was so antsy I was starting to get irritated with the people who were coming in for our help, not really the best attitude (although, now that I think of it, part of the irritation was definitely due to the fact that most of these people are getting screwed and don't even know it. I want to shake them and tell them to stop working with assholes, get a full-time lawyer, and learn to protect themselves). By the time that 3:00 rolled around, I was checking the computer time every 2 minutes or so and, when we actually got to leave, I'm surprised I didn't actually run from the building, celebrating my independence.

So now I'm starting to worry a little. It's been my experience that lawyers put in pretty long hours. How am I supposed to prepare myself for 80-hour weeks when three hours leaves me thinking "Wow, that was such a long day"? Maybe I could be one of those work-from-home lawyers. I'm not sure that such a beast actually exists, but maybe I could start a trend. That way I could do what I like best all day, that is, drinking coffee in my pajamas, while getting some work done every once in a while. So if anyone knows of such a profession, let me know, 'cause I'm in.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com