Monday, July 10, 2006

Neurotic is so not hot

I was watching Grey's Anatomy last night, and while I love the show (or did, up until the season finale), Meredith Grey bugs the hell out of me. I guess they were going for cutely neurotic or something, but to me she's just kind of annoying. Like, I wish she would just get over it and stop overthinking everything and whining all the time. It's like the main characters on these girly shows always have to be so over the top with their neuroses. What is that? I kept getting annoyed when they would go to the Meredith portion of the show, wishing that they would go back to the other, slightly more functional characters. Like Izzie. She's crazy, but I like her anyway, mostly because she doesn't spend all of her time whining about McDreamy and his gorgeous but oddly big-headed wife.

I have the same problem with Sex and the City, another show that I love. Carrie's the same way, overly neurotic bordering on whiny. I've taken a few of the "Which character are you?" quizzes on the internet (don't laugh), and I'm always hoping that I don't come out as Carrie. Not like those things are at all accurate or meaningful in any way, but that's beside the point. I just always liked the other characters better, because they seemed more real and less like someone's idea of what a thirty-something woman is.

So, anyway, if someone can explain to me the appeal of these whiny, neurotic, and overly skinny creatures (seriously, Meredith Grey is too damn thin), I would really appreciate it, because soon I'm not going to be able to watch TV at all.

5 comments:

The Fantabulous Heddy G said...

Don't give up television! That's just letting the tv win! Fight back! Watch more of it!

Pink Pirate said...

someone needs to forcefeed meredith a hamburger. and fries. and milkshake....mmmm, milkshake.

asenath waite said...

you know what i say about overly skinny girls ... that girl needs a ham sammich.

also, we will make lunch bags when i get back. then we can be like the girls in heathers, but with matching lunchsacks instead of hairbands.

Pink Pirate said...

i so want in with the lunchbags!! i will be looking for you with your crafts bag asenath. Are you heather number one?

oh, and if a young christan slater comes to me, i swear i wont be taken in by his good looks and charm. ;)

The Fantabulous Heddy G said...

NOOO


well, if she's Heather #1, and stealing my name, I get to be Veronica.

 
template by suckmylolly.com