Monday, September 15, 2008

Yet Another Post About How I'm a Disgruntled Law Grad

I've been feeling really sorry for myself lately, and I'm pretty sure it's making me an icky human being to be around. I mean, I want to talk to my friends on the phone, but if they ask me how it's going I'll either have to lie or say "well, I'm broke, and miserable, and I just realized that starting salaries here aren't enough to pay my loans, and I'm bored, and I hate being one of the few people I know who doesn't have a job they love/a disturbingly large starting salary despite their 100 hour expected work weeks." I read people's facebook status updates and I see things like "X doesn't want to go to work today" or "X is bored at work" and it makes me want to scream. Because you know what? I want to be bored at work today. I want to be tired and cranky on a rainy Monday morning and have to pull myself out of bed so that I can go to work. I want to be an office drone. Hell, I want to fetch someone's coffee. I don't want to be an over-educated waitress, and more and more I'm thinking that it's about the time for me to strap on an apron and practice saying "Hi, my name's Liza and I'll be your server tonight" with the requisite amount of perkiness. I used to read posts from other law blogs about how finding a job is harder than you think and I'd be all "Well, not me baby. I'll be just fine, thank you very much." Now I take small comfort in the fact that at least it's not just me. And that, my friends, is the real answer to "I haven't talked to you in like, weeks! How are you?" You know, just in case you felt like asking and the standard "I'm fine" wasn't satisfying.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com