Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

Since I've been a whiny brat lately, I thought I'd go the other way for a couple minutes and make a list of 10 simple things that make me happy. In no particular order:

1. Trying out a new shampoo/conditioner - told you they'd be simple. It may seem silly, and it hasn't happened yet, but there's always a few moments of anticipation that this time washing my hair will magically turn me into the Pantene girl I've always wanted to be.

2. Running - there's something really satisfying about coming home all sweaty and gross and knowing I've accomplished something, even if that something was merely running in a circle for 45 minutes. Plus, it's gratifying for an ex-smoker to look at her calender, see 4 miles penciled in, and think "oooo, an easy day."

3. Stretching - what can I say except that it hurts so good.

4. Baking bread - not altogether simple, since it's sort of like a chemistry experiment, but the smell of rising bread is one of the most comforting smells to me, and there is nothing more Zen-like and calming than kneading a lump of warm, good-smelling dough for a few minutes.

5. Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday - technically three things, but as a group they're currently the best moments of the week. Mostly because until Monday morning rolls around again, I have no obligation to look for a job. No one will get back to me until Monday anyway, so there is no networking, no sending of cover letters and resumes, no receipt of rejection letters. And while I may be bored all weekend due to lack of funds, at least I'm not forcing myself to do anything or feeling guilty about avoiding it. Bliss.

6. The first cup of coffee in the morning - self-explanatory, I would think.

7. Making dinner - to me, all the chopping and sauteing and baking and arranging is totally relaxing, and it's fun to try out a new recipe while jazz plays in the background and I drink a glass of wine and occasionally dance around before remembering that people can see into my kitchen window.

8. Rainy days in Pittsburgh - in NOLA, rainy days are annoying because they're generally accompanied by flooding. Here, they're just rainy days, and it gets a little cold so that curling up with a book is really the only sensible thing to do. And hey, since I'm not employed, I can do that!

9. Getting facebook notifications - I know, but hear me out. It's not the notifications themselves, it's knowing that someone thought of me for a few seconds and decided to let me know. It's nice, especially since I haven't seen anyone for a couple months now.

10. Breezy end-of-summer evenings - preferably spent sitting outside with a cold beer.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com