Sunday, August 24, 2008

What Does Your List Say About You?

Did you know that there are whole websites dedicated to what people put on their grocery lists? There have even been books written based on people's lost and forgotten lists of things to shop for. One author turned herself into different characters based on these lists and the people that she imagined lay behind them. With that in mind, and because I have nothing better to do, let's look at my grocery lists for this week. I'm pretty sure that they say that I'm anal retentive.

Grocery list #1 (there are two - although they contain the same items, they're organized differently)
Hmmm, bad picture, but you can probably get the point. First, ingredients are organized according to recipe, with miscellaneous items at the bottom. The list is italicized because I put each item in italics as it was added to Grocery list #2:

Grocery list #2, if you can see it properly, is ordered according to section of the grocery store, so that I can start at produce and work my way through in the most efficient way possible. The grocery store that I go to is always insanely busy, and rather huge, so it works best this way and makes me less irritable by the time that I leave.

Looking at the above, I realize now what my grocery list says about me. First, I'm crazy and probably afflicted with OCD. I'm definitely anal retentive. I've managed to somehow memorize my entire grocery store's layout in less than a month of shopping there. I like to think that all of this adds to my charm, but in any case, at least I'm efficient. And to think I was worried there might be some embarrassing item on the lists.

2 comments:

Some Girl said...

This is a side of you I have not seen before... and it is hilarious.:-P Would you like to organize my grocery shopping as well? Because right now, I just wander the store and take tasty-looking things.

Law School Debutante said...

Liz. I have a confession. I do this too. I'm completely anal about having a detailed shopping list. And I make my list by thinking about how I walk through the store, so I won't forget anything and (dread of all dreads) have to go back to an aisle I already covered.

This is generally a lovely way to shop.

However, I didn't realize just how anal I am about my list corresponding with the layout of the store until Winn-Dixie in New Orleans started remodeling and MOVING ITEMS AROUND TO DIFFERENT SPOTS IN THE STORE!!!!

It was agonizing, and I almost had to stop shopping there due to the anxiety and frustration.

So, I feel ya.

And I too am missing NOLA something fierce and am very worried about Gustav...

 
template by suckmylolly.com