Thursday, February 19, 2009

Beghel*

Third time's the charm! I have finally perfected the bagel recipe that I posted about on here a while ago. The cinnamon sugar is no longer perpetually melt-y, and they're not only gigantic but a bit softer too. The second batch was a bit hockey puckish, and we can't have that first thing in the morning. Behold their bagely goodness (you can click on the pictures for a yummy close-up view):


And a close-up of the sea salt variety, right out of the oven. Tasty.


If you feel like making your own, the original recipe from the LA Times is here (I modified it slightly by adding a touch more yeast, and made 6 bagels from each batch of dough rather than 8). Now, if you're from, say, New York, you're probably currently scoffing at the fact that I've used a recipe from a Los Angeles newspaper. Well, scoff all you want, but you can't argue with the finished product, which in this case is warm and chewy and toasty and wonderful. So there.

*I know that bagel is not spelled "beghel," but if you've ever heard me say the word out loud, that's how it sounds. And no, I can't tell that I'm pronouncing it incorrectly. I can't even hear the difference.

2 comments:

Law School Debutante said...

Yum! These look deelish!

I'm not usually a baker, because baking requires such precise measuring and adding of ingredients at precise moments and precise oven temparatures, and I usually need to feel a bit more spontaneous in the kitchen.

Recently, however, I've developed a knack for making pumkin cookies, which come out more like muffin tops, cakey and moist! :)

I may have to try this beghel recipe, Liza. :)

E. Lee said...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/new-orleans-crawfish-bagels-recipe/index.html

Crawfish beghls. You heard me.

 
template by suckmylolly.com