Friday, April 25, 2008

Is There a Convention I Don't Know About?

I'm starting to think that CC's on Magazine is a sort of gathering place for odd people. Yesterday we had space invading girl, not to mention an assortment of odd balls that didn't bother me, thus not warranting a post. Today, there was an especially strange breed, known as Toothbrush Boy. TB started out outside in the Cafe Rani courtyard. I noticed him because he smooshed his face into the window to get his friend's attention, which would have been fine on its own, but he had a toothbrush. An orange toothbrush that he was holding and occasionally scraping his teeth with. In public. Eventually he came inside, still with his toothbrush, still scraping his teeth, and sat at the table across from me. Now, I have a short attention span to begin with, but this was too much for me. I spent the next hour, during which he played with, examined, sucked on, and repeatedly scraped his teeth with his toothbrush, trying not to giggle hysterically at this blatant display of strangeness. When a couple of friends called me to go for a drink I was glad in more ways than one, because I'm sure that if I'd stayed my curiosity would have overcome my sense of propriety and I would have asked him what the hell was up with the toothbrush. As my friend Pink Pirate said when I emailed her about this strange phenomenon:

That is a really weird thing to carry around and chew on, because it causes people that cannot see you (she was at school) to ask whether or not you are homeless, i.e. whether or not you have some sort of mental illness/personality disorder.

In addition to the above suggestions of mental illness (aside from the toothbrush he seemed pretty normal), we have the pledging frat boy suggestion, wherein said pledge must look like a total spaz in public, and boyfriend's suggestion, which is that, given the fact that people can hang out all day without spending any appreciable amount of money, you're just bound to get some interesting characters.

I'll be there all week, so I'm hoping for more stories of unabashed freakiness throughout the next seven days, although I doubt anyone can top Toothbrush Boy. Stay tuned.

1 comments:

Some Girl said...

Last week there was a Pirate Convention in the Quarter. They dressed like pirates and ran around saying "Arrrggh!" And then there was the Harry Potter Convention earlier this year, where they dressed as Harry Potter characters and ran around with brooms between their legs, "playing Quidditch."

Maybe some of those people just didn't leave? I mean, I would imagine if you are the sort of person to pay for a dress-up fantasy convention, you might be a coffee-window-face-pressing-tooth-scraper, too.

 
template by suckmylolly.com