Monday, April 28, 2008

Easy Street

I don't know how many law students read my blog, but I'd like to issue a warning in case there are any 1L's or 2L's out there: people will tell you that 3L year is soooo damn easy. This is a lie.

I know people who've had a relatively sane, calm 3L year, with obscenely long weekends and very few finals. Most of the people I know, however, I think will agree with me on the above statement. 3L year may have easier or fewer classes, or maybe not, but that certainly does not mean that it will be easy. Here, for your reading pleasure, some common bits of 3L stress, with some suggestions from yours truly randomly thrown in. For example:

You may have job, but if you don't, prepare for the stress. Prepare to send out a ridiculous number of resumes. Prepare to say congratulations over and over again, and mean it, while nonetheless gritting your teeth with jealousy. This doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you honest. Try not to throw your computer when Career Development emails you repeatedly about your job search. Try not to worst case scenario yourself when you look at your bank balance.

You will no doubt have to apply for the bar. Do not, as I did, leave this to the last minute. It will be tempting, but there are many, many papers and phone calls that go along with this. Start thinking now of all the places, with exact addresses, that you have lived and worked for the last five (at least) years. Start trying to remember every location where you've ever gotten a speeding ticket. Have a helpful link, on me. It's from this year, but it's illustrative. You may also start questioning your actual character and fitness for the first time ever. Trust me, you're fine, unless you embezzled from your summer job or something. In that case, I'm sorry.

You will have to sign up for Bar Bri, if you haven't already. If you have, you will finally have to pay them. This will hurt, and you will curse them to the ends of the earth. You will have good reason to. My suggestion: comfort yourself by looking up the number of times that they've been sued, and the settlement amounts.

You will probably have a financial aid exit interview. More helpful advice: have a bottle of your beverage of choice waiting for you at home. Trust me on this one.

My last piece of helpful advice: I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just being realistic. Every year has its own unique obstacles. This is your last, so even if you don't have a job, and you're kind of broke, and your bar application's due next week, try to enjoy yourself, because chances are it's the last time that you'll get to live like a student, for better or worse.

And, with that, enough "trust me on the sunscreen" style writing from me. My last finals ever are coming up, and I still have outlining to do.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com