Wednesday, January 24, 2007

News of the unexpected

I don't normally think of New Orleans as country, but after today, I may be forced to reevaluate my position. I was driving home today, taking a shortcut through the bad neighborhood that borders mine, when I saw this big animal in the street. I couldn't really figure out what it was, and at first I thought it was a cat, but I soon realized it was a bird, a really big bird. Pigeons certainly don't get that big, so I slowed down to take a look. What was in the road? A rooster. A big, colorful rooster, pecking at some random food that had been thrown into the street. Who has to swerve around a rooster in New Orleans? It's weird, right? I mean, I saw a lot of roosters in Hawaii, where they're strangely abundant, and my hometown is basically on the border of Amish country, so no surprise there, but in New Orleans? And not just New Orleans, but ghetto New Orleans. Pink Pirate has suggested cockfighting as the cause for my run-in with the rooster. I'm hoping that's not the case, because I find them sort of cute. Either way, this city just keeps surprising me.

2 comments:

asenath waite said...

dude, they raise chickens in certain parts of memphis too. welcome to the south, baby.

Some Girl said...

Yeah, you're gonna find that anywhere down here.

I also guess cockfighting or dinner.

 
template by suckmylolly.com