Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Update: At least it was after noon

When I was a little girl, I was always trying to read these books that were so far above my age group and my little girl brain that it was ridiculous. I don't know what possessed me to think I could do it, but I always tried. My parents, teachers, etc. all thought that this was great. "Oh look at little Liza, isn't she such a reader." At one point, while talking about a book I was reading, my mother said "If you keep reading books like that, you'll go to Harvard" (my dream as a child was to go Harvard. What can I say? Apparently I was a nerdy kid). So I would sit there with my book in one hand, my dictionary beside me, and slog through chapter after chapter, inevitably having to look up every other word. It made for some slow reading, let me tell ya. Invariably, I would get partially through the book and get sick of not being able to understand what was going on. Did I stop? Of course not, since that would have disappointed my elders, causing them to withdraw their "little reader" comments. So I would keep going until I found a new book, allowing me to put down the tiresome beast that I'd been dealing with up until then. This behavior continued until I was actually old enough to reread the books I'd put down. It was rather frustrating, and my dominant thought was "will this book never end?"

That's how today was, long and frustrating. The only difference being that I now use Black's Law Dictionary instead of the Oxford English.

2 comments:

The Fantabulous Heddy G said...

I think you and I were separated at birth. I did the same thing. Only most of mine were Stephen King novels and I was only so lucky that I didn't turn into one of the Magic kids.

p.s. I miss winter too

Some Girl said...

I won the prize for reading the most books in my elementary school. Only, I think most of them were Sweet Valley High, so I'm not sure that actually counts.

Maybe this is why we read Gawker in class now.

 
template by suckmylolly.com